Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sarah Malone Speaks

Sarah Malone is another theatre education intern working hard with the SCT Drama School this summer.

1) Why did you want to be an intern for Seattle Children’s Theatre Drama School this year?

I just graduated and wanted to gain more experience in the field to help prepare me for finding a job. Also, SCT offers such great programs so I knew I would learn a lot.

2) Where did you grow up and get your interest in theatre?

I grew up in Champaign, Illinois. My whole family has always been involved in the arts so I had a lot of early exposure. I started out as a dancer but ended up loving theatre when I was in my first play at age 14.

3) What have been your biggest challenges as an intern so far?

I would say the biggest challenge has been adapting to the SCT style of teaching. SCT has a very specific style and curriculum. They are wonderful. I still have a lot of learning to do.

4) What is the most important skill you have learned teaching in the Drama School?

I have been learning a lot of “tricks” so far. Everyone has their own classroom management style and it’s been great gaining exposure to all of those ideas.

5) Are there things you weren’t expecting that you have experienced?

I didn’t realize just how much in-depth training we would be getting. It’s great!

6) What is your favorite part of the day as an intern at SCT?

The whole day is full of adventures and every week is completely different, so it’s hard to say. What I really enjoy is journaling at the end of the day. It’s my chance to reflect on all that has happened and what I’ve learned.

7) What age group are you teaching and which age groups have you liked best? Why?

So far I’ve worked with ages 4-16. I honestly don’t have a favorite. I think each age group has its perks and its challenges. But if I had to choose, I would say the 4-year-olds. They were just so cute!

8) Who are the teachers you are working with? And what have you learned from them?

I have worked with Rosie[Currier], Keni [Cohen], Beth [Raas], Samara [Lehrman], and Keira [McDonald]. Each of them have their own style, so basically I have learned a lot, way more than I can even write.

9) If you had advice for a future theatre education intern, what would you say?

Get lots of sleep, journal about your experiences, enjoy it, and have an open heart and open mind.

10) What do you hope to do after this experience? What is your next step?

I will be moving to Chicago and will hopefully have a job at a theatre there in the education department.