Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Day in the Life of an SCT Intern

Education Intern Julie Mercurio takes us through her day as a busy assistant to theatre artists and drama students.

July 11, 2008

This morining...
I continued to work on Play Development, a really unique class. Five students take part in the writing, rehearsing, and general development of their very own play, which they will perform at the end of the month-long class. I really love it because I get to take part in a lot of the work they are doing (and they don't even realize it!).

After the first class...
I am feeling lucky to be able to work with the same students for three more weeks. The class is so small and each student is very different-their ideas are really creative and expansive. I couldn't imagine saying goodbye to them yet!

At lunch break...
I walked over from the lobby patio to the Center House Theatre. Fridays are always hectic and between last day wrap-ups and crazy Theatre Arts Splash schedules, break times are tight. A little time to myself during Splash break will be much enjoyed.

After my second class...

I am exhausted and ready for a bit of time off this weekend. I realize how much I love Splash- our group this week was absolutely amazing, imaginative, enthusiastic, and so well-behaved! It's refreshing to end the day with such great students.

Now at the end of the day...

Part of me is ready for the rest but the reality is that I will have to wait one more day - Saturday classes start tomorrow! I am not looking forward to getting up so early on Saturdays now, but I am looking forward to the class, Story Drama. It's a class I really love and can't wait to revisit some of my favorite childhood books.