Friday, July 18, 2008

Meg Tully Speaks

Meg Tully is another aspiring theatre education intern at SCT sharing her experiences.

1) Why did you want to be an intern for Seattle Children’s Theatre Drama School this year?

Since the University of Arizona has a partnership with SCT I had been planning on applying for this internship after graduation for about two years. I feel that I would be better prepared for the internship if I waited until after I graduated and would also be able to stay in Seattle for the fall without having the obligation of going back to school.

2) Where did you grow up and get your theatre interests?

I was born, raised, and attended college in Tucson, Arizona. My family did not have an artistic background so my passion for theatre was somewhat of an anomaly. I really became interested in theatre around 6th grade when I discovered The Phantom of the Opera and other musicals. As a teenager I spent hours listening to show tunes in my room and participated in every play my high school produced. I’ve always known that theatre has been the path for me. So an education and a career in it has been the clear choice.

3) What have been your biggest challenges so far as an intern?

One of my biggest challenges I’ve encountered as an intern is learning how to interact with children in a way that consistently keeps them engaged. However, SCT has a very distinct style that almost all the teaching artists follow. This style is also modeled very well by the SCT Education Staff during intern training, so it has been relatively easy adapting on my own.

4) What is the most important skill you have learned teaching in the Drama School?

I have learned some a very valuable improv philosophy in our intern workshops with John Kaufmann. He really emphasizes the “yes, and” principle of improv, and this is applicable to almost every class, but especially creative drama.

5) Are there things you weren’t expecting that you have experienced?

I don’t know why, but I wasn’t expecting to have as much fun as I’ve experienced since being here. It’s been great having the opportunity to play again and just be a kid sometimes.

6) What is your favorite part of the day as an intern at SCT?

I can pinpoint a certain consistent part of everyday that is always my favorite because each day and week is unique, and I usually enjoy several parts of the day for different reasons. However, the best moments always come when all the students, the teaching artist, and the intern are completely engaged in the moment and in the creative process. Fortunately, at SCT these moments occur frequently.

7) What age group are you teaching and which age groups have you liked best? Why?

I have spent most of my time so far with 4-7 year-olds. I really like 4-5 year-olds because they have a strong desire to please and learn. I also find that they are very creative and often quite hilarious without even trying.

8) If you had advice for a future theatre education intern, what would you say?

Don’t be afraid of anything-just dive right into everything head firsts. Make friends with the other interns, go out, have fun, share stories. Also, take notes and learn as much as possible!

9) What do you hope to do after this experience? What is your next step?

I have fallen in love with Seattle and SCT’s program. I have decided to establish residency and participate in the theatre apprentice program that runs during the school year. I also plan on applying for the school year apprenticeship. I would like to develop a career as a teaching artist and theatre professional here in Seattle.