Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Adria LaMorticella Speaks

Adria Lamorticella is a Summer Education Intern at Seattle Children's Theatre, and is the first of many Education interns you'll meet this summer at Behind the Curtain.

1. Why did you want to be an intern for Seattle Children's Theatre Drama School this year?


I love doing theatre for children especially because I just graduated from Western [Washington University] with a BA in Theatre Education. But mostly, I remember at a young age how amazing and moving theatre was for me. I thought this internship would be a wonderful opportunity for me to help make a similar experience possible for other children.

2.
Where did you grow up and get your interest in theatre?

I grew up in a little town called Elmira, Oregon. No one in my family was really involved in theatre but we saw it often and I was enthralled with it. I took drama classes as soon as I could in middle school and have ever since.

3. What have your biggest challenges as an intern been so far?

During training week we were given SO much info, and it seemed like I'd never learn it all even though they honestly do such a thorough teaching job here. But it has been clicking and falling into place. Other challenges have been finding appropriate classroom management skills for each class since each group is different. But I feel like I've been learning so much every single day.

4. What is the most important skill you have learned teaching so far?

From the teaching artists, other interns, and the students themselves I have learned so much about classroom management. I know by the end of the summer the new things I will have learned will be able to fill volumes .

5. Are there things you weren't expecting that you have experienced?

One thing I wasn't expecting was how much the students teach me, on an intellectual level ( like, "actually Mt. Everest in in Nepal" said a 4-year-old). But also, you can learn about teaching all you want but until you're there with the kids you don't really know what it's like.

6. What is your favorite part of the day as an intern at SCT?

For me, the most amazing thing has been doing creative drama with the 4- and 5-year-olds who are so willing to believe. It is so heartwarming when you are acting out an adventure and on the spot you have to become a bear to give the students some clues, but then literally 3 seconds later you're your 'teacher self ' again and the kids turn to you and say "where were you? We just saw a bear!"

7. What age groups have you taught? Which do you liked teaching best?

I've taught 4- and 5-year-olds and also 9- and 10-year-olds. As I said before, the little ones can be just charming but on a regular basis I'd say my favorite age group is about 9- and 10-year-olds. They're still kids but they can be clever and witty. There are also generally less accidents involving drool and pee.

8. If you had advice for a future theatre education intern, what would you say?

Find time to take breaks, rest, and get good sleep. It feels like you're being overwhelmed with info in the beginning, but if you make sure to relax, when the time comes it all falls into place. And of course have fun! When you have fun, the kids have fun.

9. What do you hope to do after this internship? What is your next step?

Well, ideally I hope to act. Really, I'd love to act for SCT someday. That would be my dream. Unless I can be persuaded otherwise and continue on in the education program, which I hear happens quite often actually.