Monday, January 26, 2009

What YOU are saying about "Tomás"

After every opening weekend, we poll audiences to get their feedback about the show, passing both positive and negative comments on to the Artistic department and sharing some of our favorites with you. Here is a sample of what audience members have had to say about Tomás and the Library Lady:

We have seen a good number of the plays that SCT has done. "Tomás and the Library Lady" struck me in a way that is unique among many of the plays I have seen; it was poignant without being sentimental, it brought back memories of special adults who helped me when I was a child. It reminded me of how important adults in the community are to children, and how small acts of kindness can make a big difference.

I found that the set and scenery very effectively reflected and supported the story line. I also found the acting to be skilled and powerful; the two actors were able to move convincingly from portraying children to portraying middle aged adults. I feel like the play captured a warm and loving parent-child relationship, something that is rarely seen in children's movies, literature and plays at all, and when it is, it tends to be in an overly sentimental or unrealistic manner. "Tomás and the Library Lady" showed caring family as well as showing the importance of a caring community - something that is rarely seen at all.

While we enjoyed "The Wizard of Oz," I think "Tomás and the Library Lady" will stay with us for much longer. My kids are still talking about the play and processing things that were important to them in it - for my 6 year old son it was the way Tomas found to defeat his nightmare. For my daughter who is struggling with a learning disability, seeing Tomas be successful in learning to read seemed to be very powerful for her.


Julia

We loved this play! I was a bit skeptical at first seeing that there were only two actors, but they did an AMAZING job. Both my eight and eleven your old boys left with eyes wide open realizing not everyone's lives are as fortunate as theirs. Fabulous story and lesson for us all. The fact that it was based on a true story made a definate impact on my boys. Thanks for another amazing show!!

Joanie B.

My 8 year old granddaughter and I thoroughly enjoyed "Tomás and the Library Lady." She is in a Spanish immersion elementary school and loved the use of the Spanish language during the performance. She also enjoyed talking to Israel Jimenez in Spanish at the conclusion. I found the performance so touching that I was shedding tears at the end. That one person can have such a profound effect on the life of another is so moving.

I think it's the best thing I've seen at Seattle Children's Theatre. The use of the video on the scrim was great. We saw "The Wizard of Oz" the same day in a double-feature and it was excellent but didn't come close to "Tomás" in emotional intensity in my estimation.

Feel free to use my comments. Oh, yeah, I made a $100 donation after seeing the double-feature on Saturday--that's a good measure, eh?


Judy B.

We really enjoyed it. My 9 year old daughter had read the book at school. We loved the combination of live acting and projected images...very creative! Both the actors we saw on preview night were fantastic. The way they moved in and out of roles was believable and delightful. As a mom and educator, I thought the story was touching and inspirational. The use of Spanish and English felt very complimentary. We are coming a second time with my daughter's class and we are so excited.

We look forward to every performance at SCT. We have yet to be disappointed. The quality of acting, sets, and overall creativity draws us back. It has become our birthday gifts to cousins and friends. Aunts and grandparents vie for the second adult ticket I purchase. The investment of relationship and expanding their world through theater is dear to my heart.

Thanks for doing things so well!


Marisa H.

Thanks to everybody who shared their kind words about the production. Tomás and the Library Lady runs through March 1, 2009 in SCT's Eve Alvord Theatre.