Monday, December 10, 2007

10 Questions for... Morgan Rowe


Morgan Rowe currently appears in SCT's production of The Big Friendly Giant, running through December 10. Reviews of The BFG are posted on our website.

How did you get cast in this show?

I simply auditioned when the director called me in. I had never read The BFG and was supposed to go to Europe this fall. But while auditioning I fell madly in love with the play, the language and the character and was thrilled when they offered me the part.

Who are you in this play? Tell us about your character(s).

In the first act I play a mean giant and a character in a dream caught by the BFG. In the second act I play the Queen of England. To play the Queen of England is a dream come true for me. When I was a kid I knew everything about British royalty. I was convinced that I would be Queen one day. Lo and behold, I am... only without all the responsibility and with all the glory. My Queen is an adventuress who is thrilled to meet a giant since she has met everybody else, I figure. She is strong and sassy and very British. I adore her. And not just because I am her. What Roald Dahl wrote is genius and easy to play.

How has the play been received by audiences? Any surprising reactions?

I think they like it. Some people want it to be scarier and a handful are too scared. No way around it with man-eating giants. But for the most part The BFG is so lovely and the world is so fantastical that everyone, kids and adults, seem genuinely swept away by the story.

Are there particular challenges working with large costumes and puppets?

You can’t act and react the same way you would without those things. You can’t play the scene with your fellow actors; you have to let the puppet act the scene. This was frustrating at first. But now I really love the challenge of filtering my actions through the puppet. It forces me to be more specific with my voice and my actions, which is always a good thing.

Do you identify with any particular aspects of the story?

I think we all know, at one time or another, what it is to want to run away from our lives. I remember diving into fantasies as a child that took me to far off places where everything went my way in the long run.

In terms of playing the Queen, I am at a point in my life where I am really loving the challenge that comes with embracing the large obstacles that might come my way as a means to adventure, to a more passionate life. I like to think that if a dream I had started becoming real around me and I was given the opportunity to meet the BFG in person that I would say Yes with as much enthusiasm and as little hesitation as the Queen does.

What dream would the BFG deliver to you?

Oh, this is a hard question as I have a fantastic dream life, so I think the BFG is already working overtime to bring me dreams.

How and why did you become an actor?

My parents were both actors and directors so I grew up in the family business.

When not in the theatre, what are you most likely doing?

Writing. Playing scrabble online with friends from all over the world. Walking my dog.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Living in a foreign country, writing and performing around the world.

You have the audience’s ear – what would you ask them?

I would ask them to embrace theatre with the wide-eyed innocence of a child, to relax and let the story lead them to undiscovered countries within themselves. This goes to the adults and even the children, who often try to forget that they are children because it isn’t cool anymore.